Translate

lundi, décembre 04, 2006

Wellington Town

We got to Wellington quite late after our train adventure and were quite pleased to stay just by the station in a huge backpacker where we found 2 bunk beds!! Putting down our heavy bags is always a relief and we left quickly to find some food in an animated quarter behind the harbour . A Chinese /Japanese kind of fish soup is what we did find and it was perfect ! On our way back not only we did hear some Irish music filling up the street with joy as we saw 2 Irish pubs one being a Guinness Pub and one being a Kitty O’Shea pub witch did bring Brian Loughney my friend and neighbour in Bally, really close to my heart . I did like Wellington at least the little part I saw and loved the charming old England touch with gardens and flowers next to the very modern offices and business quarters. It made me think about Belfast I don’t even know why. I thought the “Beehive”, the Prime Minister’s place, part of the Parliament buildings was a great idea and I admired the conic shape of that recent building ( built in 1981). Difficult to realise that only 165 years ago the first settlers arrived. So much has been done since. Visions, imagination and labour! With those tools men can built empire. May they use it wisely.
After a lovely breakfast in a sunny dining room – I have to say that the backpacker where we were staying was once a hotel where Queen Elisabeth chooses to stay when she toured the country in 1953 during (historically significant, no?) “The Coronation Tour”! The next morning here we are at 9:30 back to the station with our too heavy bags ready to board the free bus which was going to bring us to the ferry. As they saw I was handicapped they right away offer to drive us in a motorised cart to board the vessel.

Aucun commentaire: