Translate

mercredi, février 11, 2009

The Anjuna flee market





It has become such a tradition , on the wednesday in Anjuna , this flee market that people come for all over the state in bike and motorbiles, taxis, bus and rickchaws just to walk along 5 or maybe 600 stalls full of jewels, cloths, saris , lampshades, hamocks, beads, scarves, pashminas, bedspreads, paintings and fake antics . it is colorful ans pittoreque . Of course you have to have the gift of bargain whitch I do not have so I amm fooled easely but knowing it I do not care too much ; One euro less for me makes a lot less difference than an extra euro for them , would it be stolen with a smile ! I need or desire nothing so that is a great help to me but not to them so I indulged today in a bag sold 1 euro 50 by 2 little old people, in some tibetan gifts , in a sari which will make an happy surprise one day to someone and for an extra ankle "silver!!!" bracelet( 80 centimes !) and for a map of India which rolls instead of folding ! I left the market exhausted ! But happy to have seen so many colours smell so many odors, gave back so many smiles .
This market started in the 70th when the beatnicks leaving the country where they loved to gather for a while had to sell their personal stuff (watch, transistor, hawaian flower shirts, books , maps or some of their "home made" arts as paintings, jewels ... Beads )Then the Indians would come and buy from them, the tourists . To day the Indians hold the stalls by the sea and hundreds of tourists rejoyce everyweek to come and to be ripped off . But as long as they beleive it was such a bargain , everyone is happy ! And so was I today.... I met only an english man selling earplugs to tourists bothered when they live by the beaches because of the techno music at night specially around the full moon . He was selling as well old books. His own apparently , so I finished mine - the beautiful "Skyte Runner" - sat by the sea and gave it to him, as the gift of the day !

Aucun commentaire: