Translate

lundi, janvier 29, 2007

Aussie Day

I was surprised the next morning to see hundreds of people already on the beach at Dee Why, by 9 o’clock . I knew it was an holyday but didn’t realised fully what the Aussie Day means . It means that a full day is offered to enjoy and celebrate the fact to be Australian. A National patriotic day . To day 26th of January we were going to celebrate the 219th year of European settlement in Australia, the oldest continent on earth. We would acknowledge as well 40.000 years of custodianship of this beautiful land by the original settlers: the Australian Aboriginal People . We would celebrate the fact to be all migrants but as well all Aussies! I was looking at all of them so proud and was asking myself –“But what does it mean to be Australian ?” It surely means commitment to this country, to a friendly way of life, to the freedom, to the fairness . It seems that solidarity, brotherhood means something over here . Which is very understandable when we think how hard it was to settle here at first having abandoned everyone and everything behind. I talk with people and what they say is that here there is no dog eating dog but giving a hand to those who fell , help to make Australia the greatest Nation on Earth ( we are getting there !) a nation made of the most ethnically diverse population you could think of . To see so many people from such different backgrounds living in harmony as they do, must be a great source of pride for Australians .

"We are one do they say but we are many, from all the lands on earth we come because we are able to share a dream and sing with one voice : Weare Australian ". Very moving indeed for me to be there of the middle of it all specially that day where my daughter Marine announced me what gender my 5th grandchild will be! I was in Manly beach and will never forget how blue was the sky, how happy I did feel .


Aucun commentaire: