Translate

samedi, juin 13, 2009

An irish birthay


I received this from a friend of mine and found it very touching.


Today is a very special day....it is my Mother's 100 th birthday !
Nora Wynne was born in Castlebar County Mayo Ireland on June 13, 1909. She was the fifth of seven children born to Thomas Augustus Wynne and Norah Hynes.
In 1929 she came to America. This photograph was taken on the S.S. America in 1948...my Parents were taking the ship "home" to Ireland and I would meet my Irish relatives for the first time. My parents longed for this trip. My Mother said she saw a billboard in New York City displaying a trans-atlantic trip from New York to Cobh. The next day she went to the ships travel office in Manhattan and asked how she could book this passage. The ship manifest was nearly full and she was advised to book right away. The agent told her that the office would close that day at 5PM but she could bring the money for the trip later that day and he proceeded to take the necessary information. She was told that she could slip the money under the office door if the office was closed upon her return. My Mother said she ran to the bank and withdrew the money for the trip and placed the envelope with her money and identification under the door later that evening. A few days later a receipt arrived in the mail confirming the transaction. This scenario would be unheard of today.
We are sitting in the main diningroom aboard the S.S. America in this photo....probably at dinnertime. Both Kevin and Kristine are left handed and I have always said that no one in my family was left handed. In this photo I notice that I am left handed at 19 months of age !
So here is a happy birthday with love to Nora from her daughter. I appreciate everything that both of my parents did for me and I can hear my Mother saying...."why of course Maureen, nothing but the best" ....May God bless Nora and my Dad, John
Let us think of Nora today....Happy birthday...."Breithlá sona duit, mo ghrá"
All the best.....Maureen

Aucun commentaire: